Alpha Brain (90 CT)
Retail Price - €89.95
Alpha BRAIN, the flagship cognitive enhancing supplement from Onnit Labs, contains a serving of nine natural, well-researched compounds to create an effective and balanced nootropic. Alpha BRAIN aims to elevate focus and mental clarity to help the brain achieve improved cognitive functioning. The ingredients in Alpha BRAIN work on three aspects of enhanced cognition: elevating levels of endogenous neurotransmitters, providing stress-management compounds, and promoting long-term neuro-protection.
The human brain is composed of over 10 billion communicating cells, known as neurons, that make over 60 trillion synaptic connections [source]. Neurotransmitters are the chemical messengers that embody the brain’s currency of communication. The highly coordinated processes of production and release of these neurotransmitters determine the relative strength or weakness between neighboring neurons. These connections give rise to complex neural circuits, which underlie the apparent phenomena of human cognition.
It is well known that adequate functioning of neurotransmitter synthesis and release is essential to maintain a healthy cognitive state [source]. Self-perceived states, such as attention, mood, focus, and awareness, are highly dependent on the relative levels of neurotransmitter production. Alpha BRAIN® aims to elevate the levels of neurological production of the neurotransmitters by providing an abundance of biological neurotransmitter precursors. Specifically, Huperzia Serrata and aGPC are targeted at increasing acetylcholine function, an essential component for learning and memory [source, source]. L-theanine, a compound isolated from green tea, has been shown to mimic the important inhibitory effects of GABA neurotransmission, creating a calm and focused mental state [source]. L-tyrosine is a key intermediary in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitters dopamine, epinephrine, and norepinephrine, with documented mood elevating properties [source]. Conveniently combined together in the Alpha BRAIN formula, these unique nutrients help provide a strong foundation for the body to enhance endogenous production and maintenance of key neurotransmitters.
Prolonged exposure to environmental stress results in a physiological response that can be harmful to overall health and neurological function. Alpha BRAIN includes a combination of natural stress-management compounds that have been shown to help buffer the brain from stress and provide an overall calming effect. Under the license from Optigenex, Alpha BRAIN is the only nootropic to include AC-11®, a potent extract from Uncaria tomentosa, a plant found in the Amazon rainforest that has been used for hundreds of years as an alimentary herb. AC-11® has independently been linked to promoting DNA repair following environmental stress and has documented cognitive benefits [source]. Alpha BRAIN also includes highly concentrated oat straw (Avena sativa), a promoter of neurological wellbeing and rejuvenation, which has been shown to have a positive impact on cognitive performance in healthy subjects [source]. Lastly, Alpha BRAIN contains phosphatidylserine, a phospholipid cell component known to possess ergogenic properties and promote stress tolerance in high performance athletes [source]. Alpha BRAIN aims to help us manage our levels of stress while providing the tools to handle demanding situations, allowing the mind to remain clear and focused.
Targeting Neurological Antioxidants
Oxidative stress, also known as free radical damage, has been implicated in a number of age-related conditions [source]. Alpha BRAIN includes the highest quality anti-oxidative compounds that have been shown to be beneficial to cognitive function. Pterostilbene, a recently discovered compound isolated from blueberries, has been shown to provide neuroprotection against free radicals [source]. Bacopa Monniera has been used for centuries in the traditional Ayurvedic medical system of India to improve memory and longevity, possessing both antioxidant and aptogenic properties [source]. Research on the use of Bacopa has shown significant memory improvements and protection against the deposit of harmful environmental neurotoxic molecules [source]. Finally, the inclusion of vinpocetine, a derivative of the periwinkle plant, promotes blood flow to the brain and possesses potent anti-oxidant properties [source]. These three potent antioxidants are essential to maintaining a healthy, functional nervous system.
Alpha BRAIN Delivers
The Alpha BRAIN formula contains highly effective ingredients that are either cutting edge or have historical use. This combination aims to potentiate the best cognitive performance while maintaining mental clarity and providing long-term neurological health benefits.
Alpha BRAIN Ingredients
- Vitamin B6
Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) is one of the body’s busiest vitamins, involved in an estimated 101 chemical reactions. One of its primary tasks is to aid in the manufacturing of amino acids and neurotransmitters. Some of these neurotransmitters are serotonin, norepinephrine, dopamine and GABA.
- Onnit® Flow Blend
(L-Tyrosine, L-Theanine, Oatstraw [Avena sativa], Phosphatidylserine)
- L-Tyrosine: L-tyrosine is the amino acid precursor utilized by the body for the production of L-dopa. With an impeccable safety profile and a simple mechanism of action, L-tyrosine has been a highly sought after amino acid for those looking to boost brain function.
- L-Theanine: L-theanine is one of the major reasons why green tea is much smoother than any other caffeinated beverage. Closely related to the GABA mechanism and easily absorbed by the body, L-theanine can help the body provide that calm sense of balance, while not interfering with the stimulating buzz of activated neurotransmitters.
- Oatstraw (Avena sativa): Oatstraw is one of nature’s stress-management nutrients and has been recommended to help maintain a healthy mental state. It has also been shown to help promote a healthy neurological response to exhaustion and is commonly given as a natural alternative to aid in maintaining attentiveness. This formulation is extremely powerful, with a 20:1 concentration, and assists in making Alpha BRAIN a balanced nootropic.
- Phosphatidylserine: Phosphadylserine (PS) is an essential lipid compound highly abundant within brain cell membranes. Isolated from soy beans, PS supplements can help enhance mental and physical performance by helping the body mitigate stress and boosting exercise capacity. PS is a valuable supplement for improving performance on the athletic field or on any tasks that require cognitive demand.
AC-11® (Uncaria tomentosa Extract)
AC-11®, the proprietary compound licensed under agreement from Optigenex Inc, is derived from Uncaria tomentosa, a plant indigenous to the South American rainforest. In a series of peer reviewed scientific and clinical studies conducted by third party laboratories and university medical centers, AC-11® has been shown to help the body’s natural ability to repair DNA.
Although the exact mechanisms of action are being further investigated, scientists believe that when the body is subjected to environmental stress affecting the integrity of DNA, AC-11® helps activate enzymes that are instrumental in the repair process. This goes beyond other nutritional supplements by protecting the body from environmental damage to its fundamental building blocks: The DNA itself.
Onnit® Focus Blend
(L-Alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine [Alpha GPC], Bacopa monniera, Huperzia serrata)
- L-Alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine (Alpha GPC): Derived originally from lecithin, Glyceryl Phosphoryl Choline is a phospholipid metabolite found concentrated in neuronal membranes. Unlike less expensive forms of choline such as choline bitrartate, Alpha GPC has been shown to be well absorbed, easily crossing the blood-brain barrier. Once delivered, it helps support brain function and learning processes by aiding the body to increase the synthesis and secretion of acetylcholine. Heightened acetylcholine has been linked to memory, focus, mental drive, and REM sleep states.
- Bacopa monniera: Bacopa monniera is an Ayurvedic herb found in the marshlands of India, believed to help the body to enhance clear thinking. Ayurvedic masters have touted its cognitive enhancing effects for centuries, as Bacopa has been served to rajas and peasants alike. Clinical investigations show that it has strong antioxidant properties and may protect mental function in certain adults, while animal models have suggested that Bacopa may improve learning skills. Bacosides, the active compounds in Bacopa, play a protective role in the synaptic functions of the nerves in the hippocampus, the seat of memory. Inside the hippocampus, nerve impulses are transmitted across the synapses and Bacopa is believed to help the body maintain optimal cognitive performance.
- Huperzia serrata: An extract from the plant commonly known as northern firmoss (Huperzia serrata), Huperzine A is a naturally derived acetylcholinesterase inhibitor. Acetylcholinesterase (AchE) is responsible for the breakdown of Acetylcholine, and so by inhibiting AchE, more acetylcholine is made available to the brain. Efficacy has been shown in a range of 200-400 mcg daily, and safety has been demonstrated in trials up to 5 weeks and 600 mcg daily.
Onnit® Fuel Blend
(L-Leucine, Vinpocetine, Pterostilbene)
- Vinpocetine: A compound derived originally from the periwinkle plant, vinpocetine helps the body deliver oxygen to the brain by increasing circulation and blood flow.†
Pterostilbene: One of the hottest extracts in the field of nootropics, pterostilbene is quickly surpassing its cousin resveratrol in popularity. A natural antioxidant abundant in blueberries, this particular antioxidant aids in the elimination of free radicals, which are believed to contribute to “mental fog.”
Alpha BRAIN Use
For enhanced mental performance take 1 capsule in the morning with food. Depending on body size and tolerance you may increase this dosage to a maximum of 3 capsules. For enhanced dream state, take 1-2 capsules 6 hours prior to sleep. Do not exceed 3 capsules in any 24 hour period unless otherwise directed by a physician.
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
What do you think of Alpha BRAIN?